Oral Health Buzz
Tooth Brushing Chart to Encourage Your Little Ones to Brush
It can be hard for children to remember to brush their teeth, but there are tools a parent can use to remind and encourage children to practice good dental care. A tooth brushing chart is one of those tools. A personalized brushing chart makes it easy for your little one to record daily brushings. Hang the chart where your child can easily see it, so it serves as both a reminder and a record. Laminating the chart also makes it reusable, so you don't have to prepare a new chart each month.
- A computer with calendar-making software installed
- A printer
- A digital camera
- Standard size printer paper
- Standard size laminating sheets
- A dry erase marker
- Take a picture of your little one smiling and holding his toothbrush.
- Upload the photo to the computer and resize it to about two inches tall.
- Open your calendar-making software.
- Insert the photo of your child in the upper left-hand corner of the calendar.
- Put your little one's name in the center, where the month normally goes.
- Leave the days of the week labeled above each column of the calendar, but remove all the dates because they change each month.
- When you and your child are happy with the appearance of the tooth brushing chart, click "print" to print out a copy.
- Peel the backing off the first laminating sheet, and smooth it against the plain side of the chart. Coating the back side first lets you practice with applying the laminating sheets on the side that doesn't show. That way, if you get bubbles, you can practice gently pressing them out while you figure out how to avoid making flaws on the front of the chart.
- Add the other laminating sheet to the front of the chart, making sure all bubbles are pressed out and that the edges seal all the way around the chart.
- Let your child make a hash mark on the correct day each time teeth are brushed.
- Think of little rewards for your child to celebrate each month, or even each week, as the chart is filled.
Good dental care boosts confidence, and a tooth brushing chart can help start a lifelong healthy practice for your little one.
Learn about brushing teeth in the Colgate Oral Care resources.