Oral Health Buzz
Healthy Breakfast Ideas: Calcium Rich Cheesy Vegetable Omelet
Omelets are a great place to begin when you're looking for healthy breakfast ideas because they are high in protein and are generally low in calories, though the calorie count depends on what you put in the dish. Also, if you're looking for ways to add calcium to your diet in order to support your bones and teeth, it's so easy to add calcium rich foods to your morning meal. You can mix up this recipe for a vegetable omelet as described, or mix things up a bit by tossing in some of your favorite calcium-rich foods.
- 2 whole eggs or four egg whites
- 2 tablespoons low fat milk
- 2 tablespoons broccoli
- 2 tablespoons mushroom slices
- 4 tablespoons low fat mozzarella cheese
- Spray cooking oil
- Cooking utensils
- This dish cooks quickly, so get everything ready before you start cooking.
- Cut the broccoli into small, 1/4 inch cubes and set them aside. Broccoli is naturally high in calcium, but cooks slowly, so small pieces work best in dishes that cook quickly.
- Mix the eggs and milk together until the mixture looks slightly frothy or bubbly.
- Spray your omelet pan or skillet with cooking oil and put it over medium heat on the stove.
- When the pan gets hot, pour the egg and milk mixture into the pan and gently lift the pan off the burner.
- Swirl the egg mixture gently to coat the bottom of the pan and place it back on the burner.
- When the surface of the omelet begins to set up, sprinkle the broccoli and mushrooms over the surface.
- Allow the omelet to keep cooking until the eggs set up completely.
- If you have a food thermometer, test the center of the eggs to make sure they have reached an inner temperature of 165 or more.
- Sprinkle the cheese on one half of the cooked egg's surface.
- Use your pancake turner or spatula to fold the side of the omelet with no cheese over the cheesy side.
- Serve your omelet with a slice of whole wheat toast, a glass of cold milk, your favorite fruit juice drink or seasonal fresh fruits.
You can increase your options for healthy breakfast ideas by making small changes to your diet. Just don't forget to brush and floss after enjoying your healthy morning meal.
For more information on how to take care of your teeth, visit the Colgate Oral Care Center.