Oral Health Buzz
Healthy Apple Snacks for Kids
Fall is here, so it's a great time to take advantage of the fruit of the season ��� apples! This is the perfect opportunity to create some healthy apple snacks for kids. Whether you take a family outing to the orchard to pick apples right off the tree or choose the easier route of heading to your local grocery store, this time of year, you will find an abundance of apples to choose from.
Apples make for a great, healthy snack for kids. Not only do they keep the doctor away, but at only 95 calories, they also count as one serving of fruit as part of the daily recommended intake. Apples are also a good source of fiber and vitamin C. While eating an apple alone makes a great snack, there are many fun apple snack recipes that are great for even picky eaters.
Peanut Butter Apple Crackers
This is an easy snack to make and will appeal to the peanut butter lover.
- One apple.
- A jar of peanut butter.
- Whole wheat crackers.
- Slice your apple into thin wedges.��
- Spread 1/2 tablespoon of peanut butter over a cracker.
- Place one apple wedge on top of the peanut butter.
Voil��, you're done. The combination tastes great, and the best part is that your children are not only getting their fruit intake, but they are also eating protein and whole grains in one snack.
Apple Nut Poppers
This is a fun and healthier take on the popular��caramel apple.
- Two apples.
- A jar of caramel sauce.
- A bag of peanuts.
- Peel and slice the apples into small cubes.
- Lay cubes down on a baking sheet.
- Chop whole peanuts in three-second intervals in a food processor or blender.
- Warm caramel sauce in microwave for 10 seconds.
- Drizzle caramel sauce on the apple cubes.
- Sprinkle the chopped peanuts on top.
- Allow apples to sit for 15 minutes, and then you can enjoy!
Best Apples for Snacking
According to EatingWell.com, the best apple for eating and snacking is the Honey Crisp. It is crisp, sweet and juicy. Another great choice is��the Royal Gala, which is also a crispy and sweet tasting apple. Whichever apple you choose, you can be sure that these apple snacks for kids are something that is good for them.
Learn more about how to get kids to eat healthy at dinnertime in the Colgate Oral Care resources.