Tooth Fairy spending skyrocketed in 2013 and shows no signs of slowing down.
Visa’s annual survey shows that American children received an average of $3.70 per lost tooth last year, which is a dramatic increase of 23 percent over the $3 per tooth left in 2012 and 42 percent over the $2.60 left in 2011. Based on this rate of return, a child would net $74 for a full set of 20 baby teeth.
To help parents navigate the sensitive topic of the appropriate amount their children should receive for lost teeth, Visa has created a free Tooth Fairy app and Facebook calculator.
Additional findings from the survey, which was conducted through 3,000 phone interviews, include:
- The Tooth Fairy was particularly generous to kids in the Northeast, leaving an average of $4.10 per tooth. Kids in the West and South trailed with an average of $3.70 and $3.60 respectively. Midwestern children found the least under their pillows with an average of $3.30 per tooth.
- 10 percent of kids will find more than $5 per tooth under their pillow—more than three times as many as in 2011.
- 36 percent of respondents reported that the Tooth Fairy left a dollar or less.
- On the opposite end of the spectrum, 6 percent said that the Tooth Fairy left $20 or more including 2 percent who reported that an extremely generous Tooth Fairy left $50.
- Nationwide, the Tooth Fairy left the most in households with young parents. The 18-24 age group reported that she left an average of almost $5 per tooth.
- The Tooth Fairy will be visiting close to 90 percent of U.S. households with children—up from 84 percent last year.
The free app and calculator uses Visa’s 2013 survey data and factors in demographics such as gender, age, home state, family size, marital status, income and education levels to formulate how much money the Tooth Fairy is leaving in comparable households. It is not an endorsement or recommendation for a particular amount. The app is available for iPhones and iPads at the iTunes Store, and the calculator is available at: www.facebook.com/ToothFairyCalculator.© American Dental Association. All rights reserved. Reproduction or republication is strictly prohibited without the prior written permission from the American Dental Association.