Help your little ones get excited about toothbrushing by painting cartoon toothbrush covers and a matching holder. Covers and holders provide a simple way to keep toothbrushes clean and organized between uses. It's best to keep your cartoon designs simple because of the small size of the covers. A smiling face or simple line drawing of a dog's or cat's face works really well for this project. You can use the yellow and black color scheme described here, or mix things up by choosing your little one's favorite colors.
- A plain colored plastic toothbrush holder
- A plain colored toothbrush cover for each family member
- A metal nail file with a pointed tip
- An old toothbrush
- About one teaspoon liquid sandpaper (also called deglosser)
- An artist's fine tipped paintbrush
- Several cotton swabs
- A small container of plastic primer
- A small container of black acrylic or plastic paint
- A small container of yellow acrylic or plastic paint
- A small container of clear plastic varnish
- Put the cover on the head of the old toothbrush. This makes it easy for you to paint and manipulate the cover while drying, because it gives you a handle and also makes it easy for the toothbrush to stand in the holder.
- Gently rub the tip of the nail file against the toothbrush cover and holder, right where you plan to paint. Rub just enough to remove a bit of the shine where you plan to paint your cartoons. If you want an outline to follow, use a pencil to sketch your cartoon face on the cover and holder.
- Dip the tip of the paintbrush in the deglosser and very delicately put a drop of deglosser where you plan to paint each eye, the nose, mouth and any other features you choose to add.
- Stand the toothbrush with the cover sticking up, out of the holder when waiting for deglosser, paint and varnish to dry between each step.
- Leave the deglosser on the plastic for four minutes, then use damp cotton swabs to clean it off. Try not to spread the deglosser outside of the area you plan to paint.
- Clean off the paintbrush and dip the tip into the black paint.
- Keeping your hand as steady as possible, paint the eyes, mouth and nose of your cartoon face on the toothbrush cover and holder.
- Clean the black paint off the paintbrush and allow the painted faces to dry completely before going on to the next step.
- Dip the paintbrush in the yellow paint and fill in around the black paint you added in the last step.
- Clean the paintbrush again and allow the yellow paint to dry completely.
- Replace the shine you removed earlier with the nail file and deglosser by dipping your paintbrush in the plastic varnish.
- Apply a thin coat of varnish directly over the cartoon faces you painted.
- Allow the varnish to dry completely.
- Add a coat of varnish to the entire surface of both the toothbrush cover and the holder.
- Allow the second coat of varnish to dry completely before using your newly decorated cover and holder to keep your toothbrushes clean and organized.
Enjoy your new cartoon toothbrush covers and holders!