Everyone wants to hold on to their youthful appearance for as long as possible. Many people attempt to turn back the years by trying to smooth fine lines or hide grey strands. But you may be missing one of the biggest indications of aging: your mouth. As we age, our teeth tend to darken and become misaligned after years of hard work and protection. Teeth whitening could be the perfect solution to boost your confidence and take back the years on your smile, so your outward appearance can match the still vigorous and youthful spirit inside.
How Do Teeth Age?
If you're wondering why our smiles change as we get older, there are a few reasons. The primary culprit is thinning enamel from years of acid erosion, friction, and wear and tear that exposes the yellowing dentin beneath. Another contributor is due to the fact that our dentin actually increases as we age which makes teeth less translucent and appear darker. But not to fear! The resulting dullness can be treated with a variety of safe, over-the-counter bleaching products. It’s always a good idea to take into consideration the overall health of your teeth and gums before changing your routine. Ask your dentist to help you find the solution that’s right for your oral health.
Try a Whitening Toothpaste
Restoring your white smile is a great way to hit refresh on your youth, and there are plenty of simple, non-invasive options to choose from. From professional, in-office treatments to a plethora of at-home products, whitening your teeth has never been easier. One of the most streamlined and uncomplicated methods to achieving a glistening smile is using a whitening toothpaste since it doesn’t add any extra steps to your daily routine. Look for a whitening toothpaste with hydrogen peroxide or urea peroxide because these ingredients go below the surface of the teeth to remove stains that build up over time. It works and it doesn’t break the bank.
Benefits of Having Whiter Teeth
Still thinking about switching up your routine? If you’re on the fence, here are some additional benefits you may want to consider:
- Your health is reflected on your teeth: According to the Mayo Clinic, your oral health is a window to your overall health. In fact, it’s not just a window, it is actually the gateway to everything that enters your body. So healthy, white teeth on the outside could signal a healthy body on the inside.
- Food for thought: Many people associate youth with health. So, when your teeth show signs of youth, like being shiny and white, others may see you as being a healthy person.
- Boosts confidence: Nothing is more intimidating than walking into a new environment feeling unprepared. Whether it’s a date, presentation, meeting or first impression whiter teeth can give you the confidence you need to put your best smile forward.
- Be ready for important events: Family pictures coming up? Getting ready to walk down the aisle? Starting a new job? Whitening your teeth can help prepare you for any event where you’ll be flashing your winning smile.
- Whiter teeth are more inviting: According to a 2019 study from researchers at Tor Vergata University of Rome and Catholic University of Our Lady of Good Counsel of Tirane, whiter teeth are more likely to be perceived as attractive. Based on this perception, having whiter teeth can help communicate youth and confidence when it comes to personal interaction.
If you’re worried about possible allergies or sensitivities, talking to your dentist is a great way to get started. Older teeth require special care and since we only get one set, it’s important to consult with your dentist before changing your routine to make sure your oral health care is where it needs to be.
Whiter teeth can help preserve the look of your strong teeth and youthful smile. It’s natural for teeth to appear darker as they age, but a bleaching product with hydrogen peroxide or urea peroxide can help turn back the clock – and a whitening toothpaste is an easy way to get a jump-start.