Are you showing less and less of your pearly whites in photos? Over time, it's only natural that the brightness of your teeth will fade. Fortunately, you have options. Custom teeth whitening trays are a popular, affordable, and effective teeth whitening treatment. And we have all the answers to your questions about this whitening solution.
How Custom Whitening Trays Brighten Your Smile
Have you ever played a sport that requires a mouthguard? Custom teeth whitening trays are similar in design, as you place them over your teeth with a whitening gel on the inside. Some tray whitening systems are applied at your dentist’s office, some at home, and some involve a combination of both. But all of them start with a custom fitting from your dentist to create your trays.
The process of getting a brighter smile through custom teeth whitening trays is a pretty straightforward one.
- Your dentist will make impressions of your teeth to create moulds that will be used to make your whitening trays.
- Once the trays are ready, a bleaching solution is placed within them and you will need to wear them for up to 4 hours/day for 1-2 weeks.
- You’ll notice a significant improvement in the whiteness of your teeth during that time.
There are two main reasons why over-the-counter whitening tray applications are inferior to custom trays.
- Fit & Comfort: Custom trays are just that — custom. Thus, they have a tight yet comfortable fit, whereas over-the-counter trays tend to run big and loose, making them less effective.
- Gum Irritation: When a tray doesn’t fit properly over your teeth and gel leaks out, gum irritation can occur, resulting in pain and discomfort.
Even though your teeth were whitened with a custom tray, it’s possible tooth sensitivity could arise. The peroxide content in the whitening substance can cause this sensitivity. Most often, colder food items (ice cream, chilled beverages, etc.) will be tolerable within a few days. If the sensitivity continues, visit your dentist.
Your bright smile has returned to photos. So, let’s keep it that way. Here are a few tips on how to preserve the effects of your teeth whitening treatment.
- Brush your teeth twice a day with a whitening toothpaste.
- Use interdental brushes, floss, or water flossers to clean between your teeth daily.
- Avoid foods and drinks that stain your teeth (coffee, tea, wine, carrots, blueberries, etc.)
- Schedule regular dental hygiene appointments.
- Avoid smoking or chewing tobacco.
Whether you follow the whitening treatment at your dentist's office or at home, custom teeth whitening trays are a proven and powerful method to get the results your photos are looking for and you desire.
The above information is provided for informational purposes only. Colgate does not accept any liability should the above recommendations have an outcome contrary to the intended result. Always seek the advice of a qualified doctor or dental professional. Do not disregard professional advice or delay seeking it because of something you have read in this article.