Over time, exposure to foods, drinks (especially coffee, tea, colas and red wine) and tobacco will gradually darken your newly whitened teeth. But there are steps you can take to maintain your pearly white smile. Compared to the time and/or money required to whiten teeth, it takes only a small effort to keep them looking their brightest.
How Do I Maintain My Newly Whitened Smile?
Medically Reviewed By Colgate Global Scientific Communications
Here are some tips for maintaining your newly whitened teeth:
- Use a whitening toothpaste to remove surface stains and prevent yellowing
- Brush or rinse immediately after consuming stain-causing beverages or foods
- Use a straw to drink beverages that stain, such as coffee, tea, colas and red wine
- Wear a bright shade of lipstick-blue or pink based. It will make your teeth appear whiter. Avoid orange or brown shades
- Check whether you need a touch up. Depending upon the whitening method you used, you may need a touch up in six months or after a year or two. If you smoke or drink a lot of coffee, you may need a touch up more often
Copyright © 2002, 2003 Colgate-Palmolive Company. All rights reserved.