Smile, you’re on camera! If your day is filled with teleconferences or online classes, you may be more aware of your smile than ever. While video chat services are excellent for connecting with people, you may not be used to seeing so much of yourself. Maybe you notice an old metal filling or think your teeth could be whiter. Whatever the case, achieving a picture-perfect smile can be easier than you think.
The perfect smile for video calls
A natural smile is a fantastic way to boost your confidence. It’s a powerful tool for good first impressions and you’ll love the photos you take. Keep these tips in mind for a camera-ready smile next time you find yourself dialing into a video call or posing for a picture:
- Think of something that makes you smile or laugh.
- Find good lighting.
- Position the camera at eye level.
- Relax and have fun!
Routine oral hygiene is also essential for a healthy smile. Brushing your teeth with fluoride toothpaste twice a day, practising daily interdental cleaning and eating healthy foods can all contribute to your oral health. But what if you’re looking for more cosmetic solutions for your smile?
Whether your perfect smile includes pearly whites or perfectly straight teeth, discuss your goals with a dental professional to find the best treatment for your needs. They’ll provide you with safe and effective options that will give you a healthy smile you can enjoy on and off-camera.
Here are a few whitening methods and other treatments to give you the smile of your dreams:
- Over-the-counter teeth whitening: Getting a white smile at home is possible with over-the-counter whitening strips and gels. But remember to talk to your dentist before using any of these products to make sure that they are the right choice for you and your teeth. If you experience any pain while using over-the-counter teeth whitening products, stop using them immediately and contact a dental professional.
- Professional whitening treatments: If you have discoloured teeth and haven’t had any luck with home whitening kits, in-practice whitening may be an option for you. Professional teeth whitening typically only requires one or two appointments and you may be prescribed take-home whitening trays to ensure the longevity of the results.
- Veneers: Fix broken, chipped and stained teeth with veneers. Thin shells made from porcelain or a composite resin attach to the front of misshapen teeth to improve your smile. Veneers look natural and can last for over ten years. They’re an alternative to removing teeth and the procedure doesn’t require anaesthesia.
- Teeth aligners: Clear teeth aligners may be what your smile needs if you want straight teeth without the aesthetic of metal braces. Treatment via clear aligners can take just as long as traditional braces, but the results can last a lifetime.
As video conferencing becomes more of the norm, all that matters is that you feel confident with the smile you have. No matter what your perfect smile is, plenty of affordable and effective options are available. Talk to a dental professional to see the best options to give you a smile that you can feel good about flashing on camera.
This article is intended to promote understanding of and knowledge about general oral health topics. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your dentist or other qualified healthcare provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment.