Maybe you've always wanted a beautiful white smile. Or your teeth have yellowed over time. Or you're not happy with the staining that may result from drinking coffee, tea, or cola. Whatever your reason for wanting whiter teeth, you're not alone.
Just as we all have different hair and skin colour, people also have different tooth colour. Some teeth are more yellow than others, while others may yellow with aging.
Surface stains and internal discoloration can be caused by:
- The natural aging process
- Using tobacco (smoked or chewed), drinking coffee, tea or red wine.
- Accumulation of plaque and tartar deposits
- Treatment with the antibiotic tetracycline during childhood
- Trauma to the teeth that may cause a brown, gray or black color
There are many reasons for whitening your teeth, including:
- The boost to your confidence and self-esteem that comes from a great smile
- A younger appearance
- A special event such as a wedding, job interview or class reunion
- To make a positive first impression on others
- To simply reverse years of everyday staining and yellowing
Before beginning any whitening procedure, be sure to consult with your dentist. Only he or she can evaluate whether you're a suitable candidate for a particular treatment.
Copyright © 2002, 2003 Colgate-Palmolive Company. All rights reserved.