If you're not sure where to start when it comes to teaching good oral care habits to your child, don't worry! Just like any new skill, it's important to start simple and help them learn the basics. Plus, oral hygiene instructions for children are similar to your own adult oral care routine. To help your children protect their teeth and gums, and significantly reduce their risk of getting cavities, teach them to follow these steps:
- Brush twice a day to improve oral hygiene.
- Floss daily to remove plaque before it can harden into tartar.
- Eat a well-balanced diet that limits starchy or sugary foods.
- Use dental products that contain fluoride, including toothpaste.
- Make sure that your child is drinking water with the appropriate level of fluoride.
- Take your child to the dentist for regular checkups and professional cleanings.