Types of Alcohol-Free Mouthwashes
Alcohol-free mouthwashes can help prevent tooth decay, periodontal disease, dry mouth, halitosis, and plaque and tartar buildup. They can also help whiten your teeth. Look for the following ingredients to achieve your oral health goals:
- Fluoride. This naturally occurring mineral helps strengthen your enamel to help your teeth resist cavities and decay.
- Cetylpyridinium chloride. This antiseptic kills bacteria and other microorganisms that cause plaque and bad breath.
- Chlorhexidine gluconate. This antimicrobial reduces plaque and helps control gingivitis.
- Carbamide peroxide or hydrogen peroxide. This bleaching agent helps whiten teeth.
- Natural ingredients. Some compounds found in essential oils like menthol, eucalyptus, thymol, and other natural ingredients like aloe vera have antifungal and antibacterial properties that can fight plaque.
Plenty of alcohol-free mouth rinses exist to help you meet your oral health needs. But remember that these mouth rinses should never replace brushing and cleaning between your teeth with floss or other interdental devices. Instead, find a mouthwash that complements your regular dental care routine. Your dental professional can recommend options for an alcohol-free mouthwash to improve your oral health.