Are You a Candidate for Immediate Dentures?
Even if immediate dentures seem to be a good fit for you, they might not be a suitable option. According to studies in the Journal of Research in Dentistry and the International Journal of Scientific Research, this might be due to the complexity of the treatment or if additional oral procedures are needed.
Your dentist, your oral surgeon, and your other dental professionals will consider these factors before preparing for you to get immediate dentures after extraction:
- Your age
- Your emotional health and mental state
- Certain oral health conditions, including an unbalanced bite, bone loss, or acute gum disease
- Your physical health, including if you’re:
- Dealing with a debilitating disease,
- Undergoing radiation or chemotherapy treatment
- Experiencing blood clotting or cardiac issues
If you need any teeth removed but want to maintain a seamless smile and tooth function, getting extractions and dentures at the same time might be a viable solution. Even though it might be what you wear from ear to ear that matters, know what to expect, what the pros and cons are, and what your dental professionals say before committing to the same-day procedure.