When you click the "checkout" button, you usually have a variety of delivery options. 5-7 business days. 1-2 days. Those are quite common. But same-day delivery? Now that's pretty rare. However, in the dental world, same-day implants are not. In fact, they're a very viable option compared to traditional implants. This conventional route usually takes several months and a few visits to your dentist. However, if you've got a missing or diseased tooth and prefer a more rapid timeline, same-day implants could be for you.
Are Same Day Dental Implants Right For You?
The convenience of same-day, or immediate load, dental implants is pretty staggering. What can take traditional implants many months to complete can be done in just 1 trip to your dentist. How you ask. With traditional implants, you must:
- Extract the tooth and wait 2-4 months for the socket to heal
- Insert the implant and wait 3-6 months for osseointegration
- Then place the crown into the implant
- Timeline: 5-10 months
Same-day implants, however, are much quicker. You'll have an early consultation visit to see if you're a good candidate. And a final checkup after your surgery. But the implant procedure itself will only require a single visit to your dentist. This allows you to skip the osseointegration, the wound healing process, and many months of waiting. Fast and effective is always a great combination.
The success rate for same-day implants continues to improve. In fact, the National Center for Biotechnology Information found that the difference in treatment success rates and stability of radiographic bone level for same-day implants versus conventional implants was statistically insignificant. Other advantages from the National Journal of Maxillofacial Surgery include:
- Restoration is immediate, and the patient will leave the office with a full mouth of teeth.
- The implant fuses to the bone better.
- The soft tissues and gums heal more quickly and less likely to recede.
- The healing process is helped along as the implants keep contaminants away from the tooth extraction socket.
The fewer surgical steps allow for a quicker procedure. And the immediacy of it gives the patient peace of mind regarding the implant's appearance.
With the pros of one-day dental implants come cons. The Maxillofacial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery found:
- While it's not a high risk, there's evidence same-day implants have a better chance of failing than traditional implants.
- Studies indicate that same-day implants appear to have more marginal bone loss, which could lead to loosening and failure of the implant.
- Post-procedure swelling and discomfort was found to be more prevalent in same-day implants compared to conventional approaches.
- The 1-day approach equates to a longer time in the actual dental chair.
Like most procedures, dental or medical, not everyone that would like same-day implants can receive them. According to Authority Dental, an ideal patient is:
- Overall healthy
- A non-smoker or willing to quit before the implantation
While the following characteristics would be associated with an unsatisfactory patient:
- Gum disease
- Poor oral health or hygiene
- Autoimmune disease
- Chronic disease
The jawbone, however, is what's crucial. It can't be too thin or soft to take in the implant without bone grafting.
There are benefits and drawbacks to anything in life. Whether that's same-day dental implants or same-day delivery — you've got to weigh what's important to you. However, before that happens, speak with your dentist to see if you're a suitable candidate for the rapid procedure. If so, you could be smiling that same day.
This article is intended to promote understanding of and knowledge about general oral health topics. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your dentist or other qualified healthcare provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment.