It's always good to look on the bright side of things. It's no different when we're talking about your pearly whites. Most folks would prefer whiter teeth for a brighter smile. That's a no brainer. But there can be some hurdles, though, in keeping those teeth white and getting the confidence that goes with a bright smile. Fortunately, we've got three teeth whitening tips below that will help get your smile a little brighter, make you a little happier — and do it on a budget to boot.
3 Cheap Teeth Whitening Tricks
Medically Reviewed By Colgate Global Scientific Communications
No, we don't mean you should consume your meals in front of a mirror. Instead, be mindful of what you gobble up and the effect it can have on staining and scrubbing your teeth.
Some foods to consider:
- Nuts: They cause more saliva production, thus helping wash away food debris and battle tooth decay, according to the American Dental Association.
- Apples and celery: These crunchy fruits and veggies help whiten your teeth by scrubbing away surface stains.
- Cheese: Most cheeses provide calcium and protein that strengthen your enamel, while harder cheeses, like Parmesan, help remove surface stains.
Some foods to avoid:
- Dark berries
- Red wine
- Bright curries
If you're too much of a coffee nut or an actual sommelier — remember to rinse with water as much as possible. This will help wash away the food or drink that makes contact with your enamel to reduce staining.
Proper at-home oral hygiene could be the best cheap way to whiten teeth. Finding the right routine with the right products can a long way. So what can you do? You can:
- Brush twice a day: It will help remove plaque buildup, stains, and discoloration before they set in.
- Use teeth whitening toothpaste: A paste with hydrogen peroxide used by dentists during teeth whitening treatments is efficient and inexpensive.
A whitening treatment from your dentist can be quite effective — but also quite expensive. However, the formula of your teeth whitening toothpaste plus any of the below can equal results that will surely make you smile. They may cause some tooth sensitivity, but these over-the-counter options could be the whitening game-changer you've been looking for.
- Gel strips
- Whitening pens
- Whitening trays
The most important thing when looking at teeth whitening options is to find one that's best for you. Consulting with your dentist can help determine the right path to take. Perhaps it's just proper at-home oral care. Perhaps it is a whitening treatment with your dentist. Or maybe a more economical route is better for you right now. If it is, you'll be smiling all the way to the bank.
This article is intended to promote understanding of and knowledge about general oral health topics. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your dentist or other qualified healthcare provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment.