How Can You Prevent Stained Teeth?
The best way to prevent stained teeth is to minimize beverages that can cause discoloration and avoid tobacco products. If you take a medication that can cause tooth discoloration, speak to your healthcare professional to find out if it's possible to take a different medication. And always be sure to practice good oral hygiene:
- Brush at least twice a day.
- Brush after eating meals or drinking coffee, black tea, or red wine. After eating or drinking, if you don’t have access to a toothbrush, rinse your mouth out with water.
- Floss or clean between your teeth with interdental brushes or water flossers at least once a day.
- Use an antimicrobial mouthrinse and a tongue scraper.
- And be sure to see your dental professional for regular checkups.
You only get one set of natural teeth, so it makes sense that you'll experience some discoloration over the course of your life. But that also means it's important that you do what you can to practice good oral hygiene. Discoloration can be reversed, severe gum disease and tooth loss can not. We wish you the best of oral health on your journey. Happy brushing!