What You Can Do About Them
We know that tonsil stones can cause stress, but remember, they don't require treatment in most cases. If you're still worried, we're got your back with some tips for treatment and prevention.
How to help get rid of tonsil stones:
- Warm salt-water can free tonsil stones and help discomfort
- Use mouthwash to help manage bad breath
- In rare cases, doctors recommend surgical removal
- Most cases don't require you do anything at all
How to prevent tonsil stones:
- Brush your teeth twice daily and floss once to minimize bacteria
- Avoid smoking and other tobacco products
- Stay hydrated
If your tonsil stones are causing extreme discomfort, difficulty breathing or swallowing, or any other symptoms, be sure to talk to a doctor.
If you have tonsil stones, take heart in the fact that they often require no treatment. You can minimize your chances of getting tonsil stones with easy steps like practicing proper dental hygiene, gargling with a salt-water rinse, and avoiding tobacco products. Luckily, these tips will also help out with any bad breath you might be experiencing.