Only about 20 percent of Americans ages 2-64 without health insurance see a dentist once a year, according to the Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion (ODPHP). Regrettably, the other 80 percent without insurance might believe affordable care, including dental care, is out of reach. But to maintain a healthy mouth, regular dental visits are a must.
So, how can those without insurance and people who can't afford co-pays and out-of-pocket minimums get quality, affordable dental care? Fortunately, many low-cost options exist for those who think seeing dental professionals is beyond their budgets. In fact, with all of the free or low-cost dental services and programs presented below, everyone in the U.S. should be able to get a dental checkup at least once a year — and specialized dental procedures as needed.