It’s a process to brush your teeth with braces. But a relatively simple one once it becomes a routine. Remember, practice makes perfect. Let’s begin.
- Before you brush, rinse with water to help loosen any food lodged around your braces
- Then start brushing (we recommend a brush designed for braces) at the gumline at a 45-degree angle
- Next, place the toothbrush on top of the brackets, angling down to brush on top of each bracket
- Then, reposition to slowly brush the bottom of the bracket and the wire, angling the toothbrush up
- Be sure to brush every tooth at the gumline and above and below the brackets to help remove plaque and food debris.
Some older kids may still require help until they are comfortable properly angling the toothbrush and have learned how to brush their teeth with braces. Again, it’s a process.