Are you showing less and less of your pearly whites in photos? The fading brightness of your teeth — it happens. Fortunately, you’ve got options. A popular, affordable, and effective treatment of teeth whitening is custom teeth whitening trays. And we’ve got all the answers on them for any of your questions.
How Custom Whitening Trays Brighten Your Smile
Did you ever play a sport that required a mouthguard? Custom teeth whitening trays are similar to those as you place them over your teeth with a whitening gel to manage staining. Some tray whitening systems are applied at your dentist’s office, some at home, and some both. But all of them start with a custom fitting from your dentist to create your trays.
The process of getting a brighter smile through custom teeth whitening trays is a pretty straightforward one.
- Your dentist will make impressions of your teeth to create molds that make your whitening trays.
- Once you have trays, a bleaching solution is placed within them as you wear them for up to 4 hours/day for 1-2 weeks.
- You’ll notice a significant improvement in the whiteness of your teeth within that time.
There are two main reasons why over-the-country whitening tray applications are inferior to custom trays.
- Fit & Comfort: Custom trays are just that — custom. Thus, they have a tight yet comfortable fit, whereas over-the-counter trays tend to run big and loose, making them less effective.
- Gum Irritation: When a tray doesn’t fit properly over your teeth and gel leaks out, gum irritation can occur, resulting in pain and discomfort.
Even though your teeth were whitened with a custom tray, it’s possible tooth sensitivity could arise. The peroxide content in the whitening substances can cause this sensitivity. Most often, colder food items (ice cream, chilled beverages, etc.) will be tolerable within a few days. If the sensitivity continues, visit your dentist.
Your bright smile has returned to photos. So let’s keep it that way. Here are a few tips on how to preserve the effects of your teeth whitening.
- Brush your teeth twice a day with a whitening toothpaste
- Use interdental brushes, floss, or water flossers to clean between your teeth daily.
- Avoid foods and drinks that stain your teeth (coffee, tea, wine, carrots, blueberries, etc.)
- Schedule regular dental hygiene appointments
- Avoid smoking or chewing tobacco.
Whether you get the whitening treatment at your dentist or home, custom teeth whitening trays are a proven and powerful method to get the results your photos are looking for and you desire.
This article is intended to promote understanding of and knowledge about general oral health topics. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your dentist or other qualified healthcare provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment.